Monday, May 14, 2012

fruit of the spirit: love.

my aunt asked if I was interested in starting a fruit of the spirit series with some other bloggers a couple weeks ago. (blog partyy!) each week we will be highlighting one fruit. I'm looking forward to all of the great things that are going to come from this. I know great things will be coming because I was really excited about the series and all of the sudden my aunt and I were uninspired in the few days leading to it. I figure God's got something big in store and a certain someone isn't too happy about it. (: so I just need to focus more and dig a little deeper.


love | lev | : noun. 1. an intense feeling of deep affection
                             2. a person or thing that one loves : she was the love of his life


the dictionary defines love, as all words, in a literal sense. but when I read all of the different descriptions, I didn't feel like they did the word justice, you know? it is such a big word in a little, four letter body.


I thought today though, since I posted recently on a real love revelation I had, I would link to that. it is still fresh in my life, as it was only some weeks ago that it happened, so I thought it would be appropriate for this first fruit of the spirit.


the dictionary doesn't talk about this kind of love. real love.

love is patient, love is kind. it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. it does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. it always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. love never fails.. 1 corinthians 13:1-8. the verses we hear so often, but are we always being all of those things?


I sometimes wish we could love the characters in real life as we love the characters in romances. there are a great many souls whom we should accept more kindly, and even appreciate more clearly, if we simply thought of them as people in a story. -g.k. chesterton

'Even if everything goes wrong, love is always right. There is ridiculous hope in this.' -ann voskamp.

stay tuned for more love this week. and keep up with the other wonderful people that are joining in the weeks to come.


also, I'd love if you would read this post. if you haven't already.

2 comments:

Carl said...

You quoted G.K. Chesterton...

You are alright by me.

Good to bring up the contrast between Biblical and worldly love.

Unknown said...

yay! thanks, Carl. (: